Skip to Content
News
Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

Cal Fire reminds residents to be fire safe during the holidays

HOUSE-HOME-FIRE-GENERIC-1_1565583604398_39156436_ver1.0_320_180

How to keep your holidays happy and bright by being fire smart during this festive season.

The holiday season is in full swing. From holiday candles, to Christmas tree lights, it can often be hazardous if not properly used with care.

And now that we have entered the winter months, residents are using space heaters to keep their homes warm, which could led to a house fire if not properly used with precaution.

Here are safety tips Cal Fire Captain Fernando Herrera wants you to know:

As the winter season bring chilly temperatures, many are starting to use their space heaters either at home or work.

"Keep that 3 foot clearance around it make sure there's not that combustion that could burn around that space heater and another think don't use an extension cord," said Herrera. "Don't use multiple adapters for it. Its designed so that you plug it in directly into the wall outlet." 

Cal Fire reminds residents how the space heater works.

"It's a temporary heating device so when you don't need it unplug it and turn it off," said Herrera.

Cal Fire officials said most of their calls for home fires caused by heat source come from the east valley. They have recommending alternatives to keep warm.

"Get more electrical blankets other methods if you don't have a heating system in your home, if you have a chimney open up the flue on it and make sure that you're using the chimney properly," said Herrera.

Not only is this time of year where temperatures are fluctuating, many are decorating for the holidays.

"String your lights where it all starts with you plugging it in at the outlet receptacle and from there string of lights can be attached to each other three or four depending on what the manufactures recommendation is but don't exceed that," said Herrera.

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, more than half of home decoration fires in December are started by candles.

"We recommend that you use battery power flameless candles, they have scents on them, they illuminate, they're LED so they work just as well like an original candle," said Herrera.

Cal Fire recommends all residents to have a working carbon monoxide alarm for your home.

And now that we have entered the winter months, residents are using space heaters to keep their homes warm, which could led to a house fire if not properly used with precaution.

Additional information from U.S. Fire Administration about being fire smart this holiday season.

News Headlines / Top Stories

Dani Romero

Comments

Leave a Reply