A gas leak was reported at Indio High School Wednesday afternoon.
A teacher smelled gas in a classroom and thought it was lingering from an experiment that was conducted Tuesday, according to officials. When firefighters arrived they smelled gas coming from the classroom next door so they decided to evacuate a wing of classrooms while they worked to isolate the leak.
School officials said it only affected students for the last period of the day and classes resumed elsewhere on campus. No students were sent home early.
Firefighters were still working on the gas leak as of 1 p.m. but officials expect class to resume as usual on Thursday.