Firefighters responded to a house fire in Rancho Mirage Tuesday morning that displaced two elderly residents. KESQ News Channel 3 spoke to a gardener who was in the right place at the right time.
He didn’t want to be identified but was able to get the elderly couple out of the house when the fire sparked.
According to Cal Fire, a dog was found dead inside the home. No additional injuries were reported.
The 5,000 square-foot home is located in the 100 block of Clancy Lane South inside the Clancy Lane Estates. The fire was reported at 9:04 a.m. and was fully contained at about 9:56 a.m., according to fire officials.
A gardener who did not want to be named or have his face shown ran into harms way to save the elderly couple in the home.
“I saw the smoke coming out of the house so I ran in and I saw this lady with the bright pink shirt so then I pulled her out and then I tried to get the cat, and then I went around and the old man was trying to fight the fire and I pulled him out from the house to,” says the gardener.
“I just ran an my adrenaline kicked in and I just wanted to get those people out,” says the gardener.
Several viewers contacted us to report the large smoke plume that was seen over the Coachella Valley Tuesday morning.
There’s no word on the extent of damage at this time but the two elderly residents are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross while they’re displaced.
Firefighters will remain at the home for about two hours for salvage and overhaul duties, Cal Fire said in a statement.