Trump pauses 50% Canada tariffs, says the two sides have a ‘deal’

By Elisabeth Buchwald, CNN
(CNN) — President Donald Trump late Tuesday postponed his threat of a 50% tariff on a wide range of Canadian goods that was set to take effect at midnight and would have affected roughly $20 billion worth of imports.
“We’ve come to a deal with Canada,” Trump told reporters Wednesday morning from the White House lawn. He touted conversations he held with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney Tuesday night, adding that the deal, which has yet to be finalized, will benefit both sides.
“We’re going to give something, and we’re doing certain things,” Trump added, without elaborating further.
Hours earlier, ahead of the midnight deadline, Trump over Truth Social announced the three-day postponement of the scorching tariffs “subject to finalization of documents.”
In his post, Trump referred to the Keystone XL pipeline, which he said “may be awoken from the grave!” without providing further details.
The tariffs would have covered products including dairy, alcohol and furniture — about 5% of the total value of US imports from Canada last year.
Carney and Trump spoke on Monday and Tuesday as negotiations continued, with Carney describing the talks with the Trump administration as “very delicate and intense.”
In a statement late Tuesday, Carney confirmed tariffs had been postponed until end of day, August 21. “Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done,” he said.
On Wednesday, Minister for Canada-US Trade Dominic LeBlanc said that “efforts remain ongoing” toward a deal in a post on social media.
“We are working collaboratively towards a finalized agreement between our two countries,” LeBlanc wrote, alongside a picture of him shaking hands with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.
Trump had planned to rely on a little-known law from the 1930s that has never been used to impose tariffs in this way. The administration’s use of the law was expected to face legal challenges.
But, until a court weighs in, he would be able to apply it – as was the case with the sweeping duties the Supreme Court overturned earlier this year.
Trump specifically targeted Canada, alleging that it made it harder for the US to export dairy, cars and alcohol. Canada was also the only country besides China to retaliate against Trump’s earlier tariffs, though Carney later rolled back most of those measures.
Unlike some of the other statutes Trump has turned to after the Supreme Court struck down his sweeping tariffs earlier this year, this trade law, known as Section 338, does not appear to impose a time limit on the duties. Had the tariffs taken effect, they could have remained in place indefinitely unless Trump or a future president chose to remove them.
The potential reach was also broad. The Canadian goods targeted in the proposed tariffs extended well beyond the products at the heart of Trump’s stated grievances, covering industrial equipment, plastics, furniture, clothing and other manufactured goods.
There’s another notable difference from Trump’s recent tariffs: There are no exemptions here for goods that comply with the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement. That means even products that otherwise qualify for preferential treatment under the North American trade pact could have been included in these duties.
Carney had said earlier this year the tariffs were a “direct violation” of that trade pact and warned in July the trade dispute has “raised costs for families, particularly in the U.S.”
The US Chamber of Commerce had also warned Tuesday that higher tariffs “would damage both economies, drive up costs for U.S. families, further disrupt critical supply chains, and risk the 13 million American jobs that depend on trade” under the US-Canada-Mexico Agreement.
The tariffs may ultimately have been intended as another negotiating tactic. Canada, whose economy has already been weakened by previous rounds of tariffs, had been actively engaging with US officials as the two countries tried to resolve their broader trade dispute. With the USMCA itself up for review, Trump had another major point of leverage.
This story has been updated with additional information.
The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2026 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.
CNN’s Rashard Rose and Stephanie Yang contributed to this report.