On December 2, 2015, 14 people lost their lives in a mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.
Monday, the community is coming together to remember the victims of the tragedy. At 3PM, a Day of Remembrance memorial ceremony will be held at the Cal State San Bernardino main campus. At 10 a.m., a moment of silence was observed.
Five of the victims of the shooting were Cal State San Bernardino alumni.
Four years ago, Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, husband and wife, used semi-automatic rifles to kill 14 and injure 22 others at a Christmas Party for San Bernardino County employees. Malik and Farook were fatally shot by law enforcement after mass shooting.
Enrique Marquez, an alleged accomplice of Malik and Farook, is accused of purchasing two rifles for Farook in 2011 and 2012. Marquez also allegedly transpired with Farook to execute a bombing at Riverside City College.
Marquez is behind bars and could face a 25-year prison sentence if his convictions stand.
The 3 p.m. memorial event will be held at CSUSB's Peace Garden.
The event's expected order, per CSUSB:
- Dean Sastry G. Pantula welcomes attendees and says a few words.
- William Van Dyke (Department of Health Sciences and Human Ecology) will say a few words.
- Erica Porteous, sister of Yvette Velasco, will speak.
- A representative of each family in attendance will take a flower from Yolanda Thomas and place it at the base of the bell.
- When all flowers are placed, Michael Nguyen (Department of Health Sciences and Human Ecology) will ring the bell.
Stay with News Channel 3 for our complete coverage of the event throughout the day.