Skip to Content
News

Fire Shuts Down Indio Restaurant

Workers moved food and equipment out of The Cantina restaurant in Indio where the back storage room caught fire. They’re trying to save what’s not damaged.

“It was in our liquor room. The building filled with smoke. We did have some patrons in there having breakfast. I had just come back from getting polo set up…saw the smoke, fire trucks. Someone had already called 911, flames coming out the top of the building and the side,” says general manager Jan Hart.

Fortunately, nobody got hurt. This man, who did not want to appear on camera, was having coffee when he saw smoke coming from the back area, that’s when he called 911.

Firefighters say the fire started in the storage room in the back of the restaurant. Damage is estimated at $150,000, but the restaurant will be able to reopen Friday. Australian polo player Fergus Gould says the news about the fire traveled fast. Heused to eat atthe restaurant after his matches.

“It’s a shame. I mean, we’re all going to miss it. This is where we have our parties at the end of the month after the finals and things like that. So yeah, definitely, it’s going to be missed,” says Gould.

A manager from the polo club tells News Channel 3 an electrical malfunction in a refrigerator caused the blaze.

KESQ News Team

Comments

Leave a Reply