Skip to Content

Desert Hot Springs teen hospitalized due to vaping returns home

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 6.23.45 PM
Izzy Ramirez and Zane Martin

Zane Martin is back home.

Martin was hospitalized several months ago due to a vaping-related illness. While in recovery in Loma Linda, he shared a room adjacent to Izzy Ramirez. Ramirez, who has made a stellar recovery since sustaining a brain injury in the fall, had some encouraging words for his former partner in recovery.

"Good job. I told you that you could do it," Ramirez said. "All it takes is just to grind and do what they ask you to do and you'll get out fast. I told you little bro. We got this."

Zane Martin, 15, from Desert Hot Springs recovering in hospital after nearly dying from vaping. Courtesy: KABC

Now back in Desert Hot Springs, Martin can count himself lucky. His condition, which was considered life-threatening, turned out to have a happy ending.

But this isn't always the case - according to the Centers for Disease Control, 40 people have died from vaping-related causes in the U.S. this year.

Top Stories

Sam Benson Smith

Sam Benson Smith is the Digital Content Director for Gulf California Broadcasting. Learn more about Sam here.


Leave a Reply