The city of Palm Desert is celebrating 50 years as an incorporated city.
Palm Desert, specifically Portola Avenue, was originally used as a military training ground, army tank and truck depot in the early 1940s.
Clifford Henderson alongside his brothers, Randall, Phil and Carl, and architect, Tommy Tomson, began developing the area in the mid-1940s.
The Henderson brothers and Tomson opened The Shadow Mountain Club in 1948 which led to a tourism and real estate boom in the area.
The expanding city was officially incorporated on November 26. 1973 and is now known as a hub for shopping, business, entertainment and education.
Be part of the celebration!
Join in on the City of Palm Desert's Party in the Park this Saturday, November 18, from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Civic Center Park.