Skip to Content

Trial date set for cop accused of sexually assaulting women

RSO

MURRIETA, Calif. (KESQ) - A Nov. 9 trial date was set today for a Menifee policeman accused of sexually assaulting five women, including some while he was on duty.

Juan Jose Pesina Jr., 34, of Murrieta was arrested last August following an investigation by the Riverside County Sheriff's Department's Special Victims Unit.

Pesina is charged with five counts of sexual battery, two counts each of assault with intent to commit rape and extortion, and one count each of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, attempted forcible sodomy, attempted forcible oral copulation, bribery and burglary, as well as sentence-enhancing
allegations of perpetrating sexual offenses during a burglary.

During a pretrial conference at the Southwest Justice Center Monday, Superior Court Judge John Molloy conferred with the prosecution and defense regarding scheduling, and both sides agreed to work on clearing their calendars for trial during the first half of November, prompting him to tentatively schedule proceedings.   

Pesina is being held without bail at the Smith Correctional Facility.   

According to the Menifee Police Department, the defendant remains on indefinite unpaid administrative leave.  

The agency released a statement soon after his arrest, saying its Professional Standards Unit had received a complaint from a woman on July 22, 2025, alleging encounters with the lawman over two years earlier in which he had sexually abused her.

"A preliminary internal investigation was immediately conducted,'' Sgt. Raul Perez said. "In order to ensure a fair, thorough and impartial investigation, the department requested an independent criminal investigation by the Riverside County Sheriff's Department."

Sheriff's Sgt. Jim Peters said MPD Internal Affairs detectives informed the Special Victims Unit that "Pesina was accused of sexually assaulting a victim during an on-duty investigation.''

"During the course of our investigation, additional victims were identified in incidents that had occurred between 2023 and 2024,'' Peters said. "Investigators determined Pesina encountered these victims while on duty and off duty."  

According to the criminal complaint, five victims were allegedly assaulted in February and September 2023, as well as January, November and December 2024, and August 2025.

In Pesina's first alleged target, he accessed her property illegally and perpetrated multiple offenses over an unspecified period, according to the prosecution.

A second woman was allegedly victimized 11 months later, suffering similar abuse, the complaint said.

The document didn't specify which person, but it alleged that "after returning the victim of domestic violence to her home ... the defendant entered her home and forcibly sexually assaulted her.''

"It is further alleged the offenses involved great violence, great bodily harm, threat of great bodily harm, or other acts disclosing a high degree of cruelty, viciousness or callousness,'' according to the narrative.   

The police department did not disclose when Pesina was hired, or in what capacities he had worked, other than patrol.   

If convicted, he could face life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Article Topic Follows: Crime

Jump to comments ↓

City News Service

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

News Channel 3 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.