Skip to Content
News

AS SEEN ON 3: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility Opens In Palm Springs

A new household hazardous waste facility will open July 11 in Palm Springs. The new location replaces the previous facility on Alejo Road, which closed permanently June 27.

The new facility on 1100 Vella Road, across from Demuth Park, will accept drop-offs starting 7 a.m. This new site will be open to the public on Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon through September. Operational hours from October through May are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The household hazardous waste facility will close on holidays or due to inclement weather.

Most residential hazardous waste will be accepted at the new location, including electronic waste. Household hazardous waste collection is a free service provided to Riverside County residents. State law requires the safe disposal of used motor oil, flammable liquids, paint, antifreeze, household and automotive batteries, pesticides, cleaning products, fluorescent lamps and properly packaged and labeled sharps such as needles syringes or lancets. Televisions, computers, VCRs and telephones are also accepted. Flammable liquids are accepted, but containers, such as gasoline cans, will not be returned.

The new facility is a partnership between the county Waste Management Department and the City of Palm Springs. While the facility is available for the safe disposal of household hazardous waste, residents are encouraged to use up their hazardous products whenever possible to help keep down the costs of the free service.

Residents are limited to transporting no more than five gallons or 50 pounds of hazardous waste per trip, but multiple trips are allowed. The facility will not accept appliances, explosives, radioactive waste, ammunition, asbestos, compressed gas cylinders over 40 pounds, and infectious or medical waste other than sharps. Waste is not accepted from business or non-profits.

For more information or questions, call (951) 486-3200 or (800) 304-2226

KESQ News Team

Comments

Leave a Reply