A wildfire that has gobbled up nearly 14,000 acres since breaking out Thursday was declared 100 percent contained today, with about 100 firefighters remaining on the scene, compared with 1,320 at the height of the blaze.
The Crown Fire damaged one home and three mobile homes. Only one structure was completely destroyed, said county fire Inspector Don Kunitomi, who said the total damages have not yet been tallied.
Despite the large number of acres blackened, Kunitomi said “it would have been a whole different ball game if there had been Santa Anas — the strong winds that normally come up in (the fall). There were winds, but not like October winds.”
The cause of the fire, which began about 2:20 p.m. Thursday, remained under investigation. Authorities have said the flames may have been sparked by someone in the Agua Dulce area who was working on a car wheel.
A half-dozen minor injuries were reported, including a person stung by a bee and a sheriff’s deputy who breathed in some smoke, Kunitomi said.
On Friday night, residents of 500 homes in Rancho Vista were told to “shelter in place” — to remain in their homes and heed any future warnings. The advisory was withdrawn Saturday.