Accidental poisonings from squishy laundry detergent packets have landed more than 700 U.S. children in the hospital in just two years.
Coma and seizures were among the most serious complications.
That’s according to analysis of poison center data for 2012 and 2013. The results were published online Monday in Pediatrics.
There were over 17,000 poison center calls about the products in those years involving children younger than 6. Most weren’t seriously harmed. But one child died last year and researchers say the risks highlight a need for even safer packaging.
Some manufacturers already have revised packaging and labels.
The products contain concentrated liquid laundry soap and seem to cause more severe problems than regular detergent.
Experts say the products should be stored out of reach and sight of children.