Today is Veterans Day. Here is a roundup of Veterans Day events in the valley.
DESERT HOT SPRINGS
Desert Hot Springs Veterans Day Ceremony
- When: November 11, 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Where: Veterans' Park - Palm Drive between Cactus Drive and Mission Lakes Boulevard, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
- "Please arrive early to enjoy patriotic songs performed by Dan Kelly. The Marine Corps Junior ROTC will start the ceremony with the presentation of the colors, followed by the National Anthem, sung by Ruben Alvarez," reads the event news release. "Scouts Troop 1606 will then lead everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance and the Desert Hot Springs High School Choir will perform America the Beautiful."
23rd Annual Palm Springs Veterans Day Parade
- When: Parade starts November 11, 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Palm Canyon Drive at Ramon Road, Palm Springs, CA, 92264
- "Immediately following the parade, the Palm Springs High School Spirit of the Sands Band will perform a patriotic concert at the corner of Palm Canyon and Amado Road. The concert concludes with a fireworks finale," reads the event news release. "This year's theme is 'Honoring All Who Served.' The City of Palm Springs proudly announces that for the 10th year in a row the Veterans Day National Committee of the Department of Veterans Affairs has designated the City of Palm Springs as a Regional Site for the observance of Veterans Day. Palm Springs is ne of approximately 60 events nationwide to receive this important designation.Veterans from the Korean and Vietnam War eras are invited to march and participate. This entry marches at the end of the parade to remind everyone that no American veteran shall ever be forgotten or abandoned again. Interested veterans wishing to participate in the entry are asked to show up the parade staging area located at the intersection of Ramon Road and Palm Canyon Drive by 3:00 p.m. on Veterans Day. The parade route is approximately one mile in length. "
Civic Center Park Veterans Day Celebration
- When: November 11, 11 a.m.
- Where: Civic Center Park, 73510 Fred Waring Drive, Palm Desert, CA
- "Palm Desert will honor the sacrifices of those who have served in the United States' military and recognize the dedication of those who continue to serve our nation with a free Veterans Day celebration at Civic Center Park on Monday, November 11," reads the event news release. "Lieutenant Colonel Robert M. Barnhart Jr., commanding officer of 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms will be the featured speaker for the ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. New this year, the celebration will feature a helpful expo, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., with representatives from nearly a dozen organizations that offer veterans' services and resources. Other celebration highlights include a patriotic concert performed by the Heatwave Boys and Girls Club Jazz Band. "
City of Indian Wells Annual Veterans Day Ceremony
- When: November 11, 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Where: Front Lawn of Indian Wells City Hall, 44950 Indian Wells Lane, Indian Wells, CA 92210
- :"Participants to include: Indian Wells Mayor Ted J. Mertens; Keynote speaker Lt. Col. Keith Wright, retired Air Force and former Air Force Astronaut, musical entertainment by Alexa Sophia, and invocation and benediction by Reverend Lincoln," reads the event news release. "Indian Wells residents and the general public are invited to attend this free patriotic event. No reservations are needed."
Veterans Day Recognition Ceremony
- When: November 11, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Where: La Quinta City Hall, 78495 Calle Tampico, La Quinta, 92253
- "The Veteran Recognition Program collects, preserves, and recognizes the sacrifice and valiant efforts of American Military Service Members by engraving their name, rank, and years of service onto the Veterans Acknowledgement Sculpture in the Civic Center Campus. Join the City of La Quinta as we recognize and thank the Veterans who have sacrificed so much."
Free Admission for Veterans at Lake Cahuilla
- When: November 11, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Lake Cahuilla Veterans Regional Park, 58075 Jefferson Street, La Quinta, 92253.
- "The free entry is part of the renaming of Lake Cahuilla Regional Park to Lake Cahuilla Veterans Regional Park, brought forth by Supervisor V. Manuel Perez and approved by the Riverside County Board of Supervisors in August 2017. The policy also waives admission fees to the park for veterans and service members every Memorial Day weekend (Saturday-Monday)," reads the event news release. "Free admission is open to active duty military personnel and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard and federal and state reservists. To qualify, veterans need to present valid proof of military service. The free admission is extended to all other guests in the vehicle. The free veteran admission also covers all day use activities such as fishing. A state fishing license is required for anyone 16 and older. The state fishing license is not sold at Lake Cahuilla Veterans Regional Park, but can be purchased at retailers."
31st Annual Chiriaco Summit Veterans Day Celebration
- When: November 11, 11 a.m.
- Where: The General Patton Memorial Museum, 62510 Chiriaco Summit Road, Chiriaco Summit, CA 92201
- "The General Patton Memorial Museum will hold its 31st annual Veterans Day Celebration, which is also General Patton's 134th birthday. Museum opens at 9:30, free admission all day. Program begins at 11:00 in the USO theatre room," reads the event news release. "Enjoy the day with us and the program which includes a presentation of colors, new remodeled rooms, tank rides, and free Jeep tours to Camp Young. For more information and to schedule a tank ride, call 760.507.4143 Our Speaker of the day will be Sheriff Stan Sniff. Tom Freeman will be our MC and Rich Gilgallon will be this year's Patton speaker."