The Cathedral City Council voted Wednesday to mandate the use of face coverings in public and to continue social distancing until June 19. The council also extended a temporary ban on short-term vacation rentals.
The city's move follows similar orders requiring face coverings in Coachella, Palm Springs, La Quinta, and Desert Hot Springs.
A statement from the city said the effort is designed to stop or slow the spread of the coronavirus.
The 4 to 1 vote on the Emergency Order is effective immediate, while in public including all essential workers.
Here are exceptions:
• When at home
• Driving alone in the car or with members of their household
• Children under the age of 2 years
• While outdoors and/or exercising outdoors as long as you practice social distancing of at least 6 feet between others and have a face covering readily accessible if encounter others and unable to social distance.
• Those who have a medical condition that prevents the use of a facial covering and certified by a medical professional.
• Require all employees, contractors, owners, and volunteers to wear a face-covering at the workplace
• Inform customers to wear a face-covering – including posting signs and advise those standing in line
• Take a reasonable step to keep people who are not wearing a face covering from entering the business
• Refuse service to anyone not wearing a face covering
Facial coverings are defined as any dense fabric without holes, bandanas, neck gaiter, or other fabric face coverings. They also include PPE, such as N95 masks.
The council's order also requires people to maintain at least a six-foot separation from others unless they're members of the same household and medical providers with the appropriate personal protective equipment.
The city council also voted unanimously to enact Emergency Order 2C. It forbids the marketing, rental or lease of short-term lodging facilities through June 19.
The new order mainly forbids short-term vacation rentals from renting or leasing properties to extended family members beyond the owner or his/her immediate household.