Coachella Valley parents looking to get their kids vaccinated against coronavirus have more opportunities this week.
Local school districts are hosting vaccination clinics for those 5 years of age and older.
Riverside County officials said they are already seeing a steady increase in daily vaccinations as the pediatric-sized doses roll out for 5- to 11-year-olds.
Dr. Michael Kim said his 10-year-old son Theo is getting his shot this week after waiting for months. His family had careful discussions about whether that would be the right choice for them.
"We've been a little cautious with (our son) because he's the only one that's not vaccinated in our family," Kim said. "It will just feel better that he is able to have another edge against this virus because we really don't know what it will do in the future."
Some valley parents are taking a different approach.
"It's against our belief to put foreign objects into our bodies," said parent Krystin Santana. "It's just a common thing kids get sick when they go to school; everybody carries different germs so it's bound to happen."
Palm Springs Unified School District
On Wednesday, Palm Springs Unified School District will be working with Desert Oasis Healthcare to provide vaccines for ages 5 and older. Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration issued emergency use authorization for Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine for children 5 to 11. This is the first Covid-19 vaccine authorized in the United States for younger children.
Vaccine available for ages 5-11
- Date/Time: Wednesday, November 10 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- No appointment necessary. All are welcome!
- District Service Center- Rooms A & B 150 District Center Dr, Palm Springs CA 92264
Vaccines available for ages 12+
Vaccines are also available Wednesday for older students and adults. Most of these are available from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Covid Vaccine Type: Moderna (18+ years old) 1st or 2nd dose available
- Pfizer (12+ years old) 1st or 2nd dose available
- Booster: Pfizer (6 months after the 2nd dose)
- Moderna Booster (6 months after the 2nd dose)
- Johnson & Johnson (from 2:00pm – 6:00pm only)
The current flu vaccine will be available for people 3 years old and older.
You can schedule your COVID-19 vaccine appointment here.
Covid link: https://kordinator.mhealthcoach.net/vcl/1615931903641
What to bring:
- Completed consent form ID card (i.e., driver’s license or student school ID)
- Vaccination card required for the 2nd dose & Booster
All of the vaccinations will be distributed at the District Service Center- Rooms A & B, 150 District Center Drive in Palm Springs.
Desert Sands Unified School District
On Thursday, November 11, Desert Sands Unified will start to offer vaccinations to children aged 5-11 years old.
This is information on clinics provided to News Channel 3 from the district:
The first of the vaccination clinics for children will take place at the district offices at 47-950 Dune Palms Road from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. When traveling south on Dune Palms Road, the building will be the first DSUSD building on the left. Signage in front of the building will provide direction. The vaccination clinic is being held in partnership with Desert Healthcare and Riverside County Public Health.
The Desert Sands Unified School District vaccination clinic dates, times, and locations are listed below. Both pediatric and adult Pfizer vaccines will be available.
· Desert Sands District Offices, Thursday, November 11, 10:00 am-6:00 pm with the second dose available on Saturday, December 4 from 10:00 am-6:00 pm (This vaccination clinic will be held in partnership with Desert Healthcare and Riverside County Public Health.)
· Indio High School, Wednesday, November 17 from 4:00-6:30 pm with the second dose available on Tuesday, December 15 from 4:00-6:30 pm (This vaccination clinic will be held in partnership with Desert Oasis Healthcare.)
· Shadow Hills High School, Friday, December 10 from 4:00-6:30 pm with the second dose on Friday, January 7 from 4:00-6:30 pm (This vaccination clinic will be held in partnership with Desert Oasis Healthcare.)
· NOTE: First and second vaccinations are available at all clinics. Second vaccinations will also be available at various other locations throughout the desert.
Coachella Valley Unified School District
Coachella Valley Unified School District offered a clinic for vaccinations of younger students over the weekend.
Walk-ins are welcome, however, appointments are recommended. To make an appointment for a future clinic, click here.
A CVUSD spokesperson tells News Channel 3 there will be supply of vaccines for people ages 5 and older at their upcoming clinics. Desert Healthcare District is working with CVUSD on this updated vaccination schedule for 2021:
• November, 13, 2021 from 10am to 6pm @ Desert Mirage High School
• November 20, 2021 from 10am-6pm @ CVUSD offices in Thermal
• November 24, 2021 from 12pm-8pm @ CVUSD offices in Thermal
• December, 1, 2021 from 10am to 6pm @ CVUSD office in Thermal
• December 8, 2021 from 12pm-8pm @ CVUSD offices in Thermal
• December 11, 2021 from 10am-6pm @ Bobby Duke Middle School
• December, 18, 2021 from 10am to 6pm @ CVUSD office in Thermal
Other vaccination options
More information on vaccines and appointments for pediatric and adult vaccination clinics is available here.