November 22nd - 26th
Local organizations and people are continuing their efforts to support families and individuals experiencing loneliness and financial hardships during the holidays. See the options below for free holiday meals in the Coachella Valley.
During Thanksgiving week, from Wednesday through Sunday, volunteers gather at Coachella Valley Rescue Mission will serve a special Thanksgiving Breakfast and a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimming to some of the Coachella Valley’s neediest. These meals are served to more than 2,000 guests each year. Call the Mission at (760) 347-3512; press 0. The hours for the meal are 6 am - 10 am and 2 pm - 6 pm.
Coachella Valley Rescue Mission
47-470 Van Buren St.
Indio, CA 92201
On Thanksgiving day, Holland Pharms members will host their 3rd Annual Thanksgiving dinner for families and individuals who want a hot home-cooked meal. This allows people to not be alone for the holidays and socialize. They will provide turkey, Mac-And-Cheese, greens, dressing, fried chicken, and desserts. The event starts at 1 pm and will continue until all the food is gone.
150 N Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92262
During the Thanksgiving season, Galilee Center provides families with a holiday dinner. They are seeking residents to donate to their mission to feed families who are in need this holiday season. On November 24th at 3 pm, there will be a Drive-Thru set up for families in need to pick up Thanksgiving food baskets. If you want to participate in the efforts, you can still donate to their cause.
The Mental Health First Aid organization shares tips on coping with loneliness this holiday season:
- Remember that you’re not alone.
- You may long to be with family but can’t, or you may mourn loved ones or past relationships. Talking to others who may share your feelings (either via the Internet or in person) can help you examine where your emotions stem from and make you feel less alone in your situation.
- Reach out to people around you.
- Practice self-care.
- Good self-care habits will keep you entertained and boost your mood.
- Redefine your expectations.
- Focus on the good things you have in your life instead of comparing yourself to how you think others spend the holidays.
- Give back to your community.
- Volunteering to support a cause you believe in is a great way to feel less lonely during the holidays (or any other time). Helping others who are less fortunate can remind you of all you have to be grateful for and leave you with a sense of love and admiration for yourself.
Pick Up a turkey in Indio: 82935 Avenue 48, suite101