The last time we caught up Rancho Mirage football player Izzy Ramirez was back in February. He was working on his running and balance at the KBX boxing gym in Indio. And even with gyms closed due to coronavirus, he’s been making strides in his recovery from a brain injury.
“I feel like I’m progressing well," Ramirez said. "I can full sprint now, I can do everything, I can jump. Everything’s going good right now, I’m just taking it one day at a time.”
Ramirez began last football season as defensive playmaker for the Rattlers. Later that season, he was fighting for his life. Now, he’s doing so well that he no longer needs physical therapy.
“I’ve been going on a lot of hikes, I’ve been walking, I go on at least three walks every day and I’ve been doing recreation at the parks around here,” he said.
“Every challenge that we give him, he’s ready,” said Izzy's brother, James Stallworth.
After undergoing multiple brain surgeries in the past year, Izzy is an inspiration to many… including his brother.
“You know, I could do whatever I want, but he can’t," said Stallworth. "That’s my motivation, it’s him.”
“I’m very proud of myself, personally, because people told me I couldn’t do things, they told me I wasn’t going to be able to run, I wasn’t going to be able to catch a football again. I wasn’t going to be able to do a lot of things, but I’m doing it by myself,” said Ramirez.
Izzy says his girlfriend and the Swanson brothers from KBX are a few of the people who have helped him most by encouraging him to stay active, and the family attributes his recovery to all of the support.
“Prayers from the community, of course," Stallworth said. "You name it, everyone… it’s not just us.”
Check out more of our stories on Izzy Ramirez:
- 30 Strong's Izzy Ramirez asks the community for prayer before final surgery
- RM teen Izzy Ramirez rushed to hospital: Sister asks for prayers
- Izzy Ramirez makes triumphant return at Rancho Mirage playoff game
- Izzy Ramirez shares hospital room with DHS teen afflicted by vape illness
- Izzy Ramirez is making strides while recovering from brain surgeries in Loma Linda
- 30Strong's Izzy Ramirez throws a football for the first time in four months
- Izzy adjusts to life back at home, shares thoughts on being a motivational speaker
- Izzy Ramirez to appear in Super Bowl census commercial